Performancing Metrics

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Lack of Safe Sandboxes

     It seems to me that security is something that no one wants to address.  And yet, its so essential for computer usage.
     I've been talking about this for a while now, but in an attempt to actually do something to help our readers, I have discovered that there is a disturbing lack of software sandboxes for people to use.  (For those who don't know what a sandbox is, its a program that you run other software inside so it can't cause problems.  They are especially useful for preventing viruses, because if you run your browser or e-mail client in it, a virus won't install on your system, just in the temporary virtual space of the sandbox.)
     In my searches of Google, I was only able to find two sandboxes that weren't attached to other software.  Kaspersky now has one, and I was able to find one other through a link in the Wikipedia.  Its depressing that with so many other products claiming to protect you, that when one can, it isn't readily available.
     I'm going to keep on this, and tomorrow I'll post on how well these four products seem to work.  I'll also post to see if I can't find any more, and what the links to those products are.  Until then, keep checking back, I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment