Performancing Metrics

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Short Sabatical, or Long Lapse?

     Its been a while since I've done a product pick, and I'm starting to feel the withdrawal symptoms.
     So, today I'm doing a product pick of something that comes with an unfortunate tag-along, a service provider.  But what would a cellphone be without one?  Today's pick is the Sony Ericsson w518a phone.
     You see, I've been in withdrawal from more than just my blog.  I've been having to participate in the terribly trying act of finding a new cellphone.  I'm torn, because I was once good friends with the w518a's older brother, the w760a, one of few truly nice gaming phones that came to America.  Until, that is, it met a horrible fate one day when it met a very large piece of driftwood.  I won't go into details, but it was terribly gruesome.
     So, I waited months and months for a replacement of w760a on Amazon, but after six months of waiting on back order, my eye has begun to stray towards other, more available phones.  So, enter the sleek and sexy w518a, not a gaming phone, but an entertainment phone nonetheless, and sporting very close features.  I can still listen to the music that I've put on to my M2 micro memory card, and it uses the same connection port over USB, so I can connect it to my computer and transfer files.  Plus, it's a flip phone, so I don't have to go through the same pain of screen destruction that I've had to suffer with over my last phone.
     And I guess I might as well state it now and get the mockery and ridicule over with, I am a fan of AT&T service.  This is where I make statements about how customer treatment produces customer loyalty.  I have had several other cell phone providers in the past, and each one in turn has left me burned and scarred, forever deriding them as the spawn of the underworld (yes I'm talking about you Verizon).  Plus, if things with Digital Fruit work out, and I ever have to travel internationally, I like the idea of not having to buy a new phone just because I'm in a foreign country (once again, you are being implied Verizon).  I know that not all of their services may be the best, but I've had better luck and reception(not cell, but personal), than any other cellphone company I've had to suffer through.
     Well, I know that I haven't really given many redeeming traits for this phone, but I'm still mourning the loss of something I can no longer have, and I'm just starting to warm up to the idea of someone new.  This phone is certainly helping in that department.

P.S. Amazon has opened opened a new website specifically for the sale of cellphone service and devices.  It's still in its beta state, but it looks interesting, if you want to check it out, head to wireless.amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment