Performancing Metrics

Monday, January 25, 2010

Wow, Learned more than I thought

So, instead of sleeping like I should, I've been up tonight studying how to build a solar power system and how electricity works.  My brain is hurting, but I think I can successfully produce 7.125w of power at peak sun, which translates into like 8 batteries getting charged at once in an hour.  The only problem with this whole thing is that if I tried to charge that many batteries that fast, they would all die.  So now I have to research how to limit my awesome little amount of power so that I don't automatically kill my batteries.
     What all of this is really getting at though, is that I'm getting baby-steps closer to being able to produce one of Digital Fruits goals, that of power production.  I understand that there are a lot of other factors that I have to calculate in like the max voltage that my equipment can handle, along with the max voltage the wires I'm using can handle, and just how I'm going to store all of this energy I plan to harness, but it just feels great to be feeling like I'm starting to get a handle on this most crucial part of our company's success.
     With that, I'm hoping that it doesn't rain, at least not very hard, tomorrow, because I may have to walk all the way to Radio Shack in Hoquiam to be able to pick up some flux that I will probably need to be able to solder the last of the little solar cells I have together.  I also have to find some hardware to house the little things, because they're fragile.  Looks like I have a busy day ahead of me then, so I'm going to go and try and get some sleep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment